Re: Rates for Desktop Pub

Subject: Re: Rates for Desktop Pub
From: Jim Brown <jimb -at- ATINY -dot- NY -dot- APERTUS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 13:17:46 EDT

Thanks to all who responded. I passed on the information to my friend.

I did notice something that disturbed me - the definition of
desktop publisher seems to be expanding.
Based on some of the rates I was quoted and that some desktop publishers offer
"text creation," I have to assume that some of the "desktop
publishers" are actually writers.

This worries me - I used to think of desktop publishing as
a layout design and formatting job. If desktop
publishing now includes writing, it'll be difficult to explain the wide price
range. Some manager will say "why pay a technical writer
$40-$50 per hour when I can get a desktop publisher to create text and
camera ready copy for a little over $10 an hour." I know
that "you get what you pay for" will apply, but in the meantime
the writer has lost the contract.

My worry is that not adhering to some kind of standards in our titles and
services may erode our ability to charge prices that reflect our skills.
(I will now go back and read the "What to call us" thread that has been
clogging my mailbox over the last week.) This situation almost makes me
want to start up the "technical writer certification" thread again.
I said almost!

Jim Browne