Re. Finding a publisher

Subject: Re. Finding a publisher
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 08:34:01 LCL

After labors that make the tasks of Hercules seem akin to the
strivings of an armchair athlete on a Stairmaster (TM), I've finally
finished the first draft of my book on information design. Now comes
the Odyssey of peer review, efforts to introduce my Trojan horse into
the walled city of the publishers, and an Olympian entry into the
marketplace. <---warning: attempt at campy humor!

On a more serious note, I _am_ looking for a good publisher that I can
start to discuss the book with. I'm aiming the book at the college
market as an introductory textbook, but it's the sort of thing I'd
love to see on the writer/editor's shelf next to Roger Parks, William
Horton and Edward Tufte. (Mind you, if they'll sell it beside Steven
King and Danielle Steele, in comparable quantities, I won't quibble...
though I confess it lacks somewhat in the plot department, and
character development is nigh unto nil, making its prospects as a
trash paperback somewhat dim.) I can't think of any group more
qualified to point me in the right direction to finding a good
publisher... Writer's Market offers a distressingly long list of
likely candidates, and I can come up with a dozen likely possibilities
off the top of my head.

Help! But please reply directly to me rather than to the list, unless
you can justify discussing this sort of issue at length on the list.
Herman, I know you're out there and have published, so please drop me
a line! Thanks in advance!

--Geoff Hart #8^{)} <--- or should I replace the 8 with $?
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.