Re: leave it in the locker room

Subject: Re: leave it in the locker room
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 07:21:25 PDT

The trick here is to assume that women are fragile, delicate flowers,
liable to clap their hands to their foreheads and swoon at the slightest
hint of impropriety. That will keep their protectors (in this case,
lawyers) from challenging you to a duel (in court).

All this is very silly and nineteenth-century, of course. It makes
me wonder if the feminist movement has been taken over by aliens.
But, as you've seen, referring to someone as a "bright lassy" is now
enough to send waves of recrimination across the net.

So, it's necessary for men to speak to women in a careful, stilted
way, but it's okay to have open, honest discourse with other men.
In the name of "equality," of course.

My head hurts. I liked things better when it was okay to act
on the belief that men and women were equal.

In fact, I like it so much that I refuse to play the political
correctness game at all in my writing. So, to all you PC types out
there:

"My wife is as competant a professional as I am, but I
still use 'he' as a collective pronoun, so there!"

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon * Writer * robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (408) 321-8771
4271 North First Street, #106 * San Jose * California * 95134-1215