indexing: users and content

Subject: indexing: users and content
From: Ronald Lee Stone <ston0030 -at- GOLD -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 11:37:39 -0500

I've spent much more time actually using indexes than preparing them,
but can yet appreciate some of the approaches used to prepare these.
Is it user experience that helps an indexer to understand *the user*
and *the purpose* of an index, or is it an ability to understand
these concepts simply by mentioning them?

I myself believe that an understanding of *user* and *purpose* concepts
is invaluable to indexing the content--but is there anything else?

I hope that this information is useful to at least a few of you. To
anyone else, I cannot pretend that this post is an index entry to be
used primarily by those seeking such information. Use your delete key
or otherwise ignore if this is not useful or informative.

Until later,

Ron

Ronald L. Stone : ston0030 -at- gold -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu : (612) 644-9706
listowner-administration : (subscriptions, filelist, general)
RADIO-L : discussion of Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB)