Re: A grammar-gender question

Subject: Re: A grammar-gender question
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 10:38:23 -0600

On Mon, 26 Jun 1995, Richard Anderson wrote:

> I want to say, "To view a user's group and rights, highlight their name;
> their individual information will appear in the Group and Rights portions
> of the window." But using "their" with "a user" is bad grammar.

Try:

"To view the user's group and rights, hightlight the name; the individual
information will appear in the Group and Rights portions of the window."

This simple substitution might solve the problem for this sentence at
least. I agree that this is a common problem and an overall solution is
still problematic.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu