Re[2]: Help--Placing photos in HTML

Subject: Re[2]: Help--Placing photos in HTML
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 21:57:00 -0600

You will also lose a LITTLE quality in converting to .GIFs, since it's a
compressed-file format.

Small quibble here. GIF is a lossless compression scheme, unlike JPEG, which is
a lossy scheme. There should be no loss in quality during conversion to GIF
format, except that which might be normally associated with a conversion to any
8-bit color image from a higher scheme, as GIF is 8-bit only.

Still, since most web browsers now do JPEG inline, rather than with a helper
app, I'd consider using JPEG for the images. Smaller files cut down on
transmission time, speed up page performance.

In all the scanning I've done, I've *never* found a better tool than Adobe
Photoshop. Period. I don't usually scan negatives, but I had to for one
presentation because the prints had been lost. I used a slide scanner for it,
and they turned out fine. All I had to do was invert the colors and then perform
some small adjustments, and they looked just like a print.

On the Mac side, Photoshop ships free with most scanners (main exceptions are HP
and Apple). Don't know about Photoshop and scanners for Windows (but Photoshop
exists for Windows, that I know).

Have fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- p -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
In God we trust, all others must supply data