Re: if and when...

Subject: Re: if and when...
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 06:53:36 MST

Pat Madea asks-->
I've checked the NYT MoS, the Chicago MoS, Webster's 10th Collegiate,
Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus, the Oxford American Dictionary, and a
few "writing" books trying to find the easy-to-remember-and-follow
rule of when to use "if" and when to use "when" <if?/when?> I use a
conditional clause.

"If a truck is in READY status, it is available for assignment."
"When a truck is in READY status, it is available for assignment."

...convey different meanings. Or, do they?
======================
I referenced my AHD for this response. It seems to me that when
using "if" you are using it in the sense of the definition "on
condition that." The AHD definitions for "when" all deal with
*time*. However, there is a usage note with "when":

In informal style *when* is often used to mean "a situation
or event in which," [example omitted]. This usage is best
avoided in formal writing.

Your usage of "when" seems to fit with their description of
informal usage, in which case I think you should stick with
"if."

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=