Re: Project scheduling software

Subject: Re: Project scheduling software
From: Sally Derrick <sally -at- DEV -dot- TIVOLI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 14:09:15 -0500

D. Gardner writes:
> > I think you'll find that no matter which software you use, your results
> > will only be as good as your estimate. We are using a high-end ($4,000)
> > system Primavera, and I guarantee you, that it hasn't improved my guesses a
> > bit.

> OK, how does one geustimate the length of time needed for a doc?
> Especially if it's a cdrl and all you have is the cdrl description
> from the sow?

I find the Magic 8 Ball method works pretty well.

WRITER: Oh, Magic 8 Ball, can I write this 400 page manual from
scratch in the requested 2 months?

8 BALL: It is unlikey.

RESULT: Add a month and pray!

:-)

Seriously, I think experience is the best tool for estimating docs.
Use your experience from past projects and SWAG it (Scientific Wild
$ -at- #% Guess, for the curious). Be sure to document what your estimates
were based on and what you expect to produce. If additional
information comes along later that changes the scope of the job, TRY
to use the new info as basis for changing your schedule.

Either way you choose to make your estimates, the final step is
usually the same - PRAY!

Sally Derrick
Tivoli Systems Inc.
sally -at- tivoli -dot- com