Re: SGML - Who? and Why?

Subject: Re: SGML - Who? and Why?
From: Glenda Jeffrey <jeffrey -at- LEMOND -dot- HKS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 08:27:56 -0400

Alexander Von_obert wrote:
> OK, you might be able to control the first print out of your manual. But SGML
> is about converting and re-use of documents. And after the first conversion,
> ALL final layout is TOTALLY automatic. This is one of the areas the SGML
> company mentioned above has to earn it's money.

I disagree. This statement depends heavily on the composition system being
used. The system we are using, for example, allows "touchups" to be incorporated
in the text. These touchups control things like line and page breaking, and
hard/soft space.

True, initially you set up a "stylesheet" that controls formatting for all
text elements. But that does not mean that the page layout is totally
beyond your control.

--
Glenda Jeffrey Email: jeffrey -at- hks -dot- com
Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc Phone: 401-727-4200