Re: Should we unionize?

Subject: Re: Should we unionize?
From: "Cheverie, Paul [Cont]" <paul -dot- cheverie -at- CANADA -dot- CDEV -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 10:24:00 EDT

Definitely NOT!!
The last time I had to deal with a union it was a nightmare. Unions are
fine for those who feel unable or who are unwilling to negotiate for
themselves. I have found through experience that I do much better on my own.
Forming a union would by necessity preclude freelance work by its members
simply because a union (or any other large organization for that matter)
isn't capable of dealing with 'micro-deals' and a rapidly shifting market
place. I am not willing to give up my freedom to move around and make my own
way.
If a tech-writer's union were to be form I for one would actively and
forcefully oppose its migration to Canada and would refuse to work in any
unionized shops.
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: Should we unionize?
Date: Wednesday, July 05, 1995 3:55PM

Should we have a Technical Writer's Union?

Perhaps if there were a technical writer's union, the Union could establish
rates and help with medical, dental, and benefits for those technical
writers
who are contract writers.

Having contracted some jobs before, I wish I had had a union to deal with
rather than having to do all of the negotiating myself when it came to
setting
rates and drawing up contracts.

What do you think?

Should we Unionize?