Re: Ensure or make sure?

Subject: Re: Ensure or make sure?
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 10:44:40 IDT

Obviously, I'll use whatever the department standard is, but I'm just
curious: Do you use "ensure" or "make sure"?

** Never thought about it much, but if you're giving consideration to those
whose first language is not English, I think "make sure" could be preferable.
If they know "make" and they know "sure", they can figure out "make
sure"; the construction is unusual but I think that the meaning is
unmistakable. "Ensure," on the other hand, is a member of the
notoriously confusing assure-ensure-insure troika.
||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
|| In my head are many facts of which I wish I was more certain I was ||
|| sure. - Oscar Hammerstein II's King of Siam ||