Re: Standard conventions for navigation

Subject: Re: Standard conventions for navigation
From: "Delaney, Misti" <ncr02!ncr02!mdelaney -at- UCS01 -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 13:57:00 -0500

From: Price, Becca
Date: Tuesday, July 11, 1995 12:52PM

>For examples, 1) does one "Click" or "Select" his/her choice?

at least here, we select an item from a menu or list, but click on an
on-screen button.

>Or 2) is there a standard way to say, "Click (or select) the little
arrow to the right of the combo box to pull down the list from which
you select, etc"?

we cheat. We explain how to use drop down boxes in the intro. to the doc.
and then say "select from the drop-down list"

>Or, 3) what does one do with scroll bars? Scroll? Hold down the mouse
on the down arrow of the scroll bar until you see...

again, we cheat and explain how to use the scroll bars in the intro and in
the text say "scroll down (or across, or through or whatever is appropriate)

>I don't want specific answers to these few examples. I want to know if
Microsoft (or anyone else) has evolved a style guide to describe the
common actions one performs at the user interface.

>Seems to me the world may be ready for one.

If you find one, may we have a copy?

-becca