Re: Training materials--help?

Subject: Re: Training materials--help?
From: Lori Moore <LORIMOORE -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 12:44:45 MDT

Janie Bergen (janeb -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com) asks:

>Are there any technical trainers among us?
>I'd like to ask from you:

>1. Recommendation for help (books, PICs, examples,etc.) on
writing training documents.
>2. Suggestions for innovative, successful formats.
>3. Sympathy?

I'll take a stab at that, Janie. I think your assignment would be
a blast!

I'd start from the ground up:
*(Page 1) what does a newbie need to know to get going?
*You can then progress naturally, based on different applications
of your product.
*Integrate flowcharts (Visio for Windows is a great flowchart
program) and copies of the screens throughout.
*Finally, add labelled tabs or a clear Table of Contents.

Wa-laa! You have a document (much like the software manuals you've
probably been producing for years), only it's more simple and full
of graphics, examples, and flowcharts!

Take "Joe Audience" by the hand and tell him a story about your
product!

Good luck!
Lori }}}}} Freebird }}}}

LORIMOORE -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM
Technical Writer
Micron in Boise, ID, USA
(...where the air is so fresh, some folks just cain't take it!)