Re: Health advisory: neck and shoulder pain

Subject: Re: Health advisory: neck and shoulder pain
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 15:53:44 -0600

On Mon, 3 Jul 1995, Geoff Hart wrote:

> (Optional: Do you wear bifocals?) The problem may be the location of
> your monitor. For looking at things close up, you have to look through
> the bottom lens of your bifocals, and since the monitor is above this
> level, you're required to tilt your head upwards to look. Even if you
> don't wear bifocals, most of us set the tops of our monitors too high,
> especially with large monitors, causing a similar problem. Voila! Neck
> or shoulder strain (or both).

> The simple solution is to move the top of the monitor below eye level,
> perhaps as low as the top of a conventional desk. The actual amount of
> lowering depends on just where the cutoff point for your bifocals lies
> and how comfortable your neck feels in various positions while
> watching the screen. (You'll have to pay attention to this... after
> getting comfortable with a setup, it's easy to ignore the strain that
> builds up by the end of the day.)

Another thing to consider: I switced to trifocals the last time I had a
prescription made for glasses. This allows me a medium range between the
reading and distance vision portions of the lens. My glasses are made
with a graduated lens rather than definite lines between the sections and
they allow me a much more normal head position. I just told my eye
doctor that I needed to be able to work with a monitor and to read music
at a distance of 24-30 inches. Love it. :)

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu