Re: Training materials--help?

Subject: Re: Training materials--help?
From: Diana Tomanek <tomanekd -at- AGCS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 16:00:19 -0700

> Janie asks...
> >
> > Are there any technical trainers among us?
> >
> > I've just been given a new responsibility - - developing
> > training materials for our telecommunications products.
> > We will use these materials in a classroom setting
> > for training various customers, resellers, and tech support
> > persons. I've looked through all my old STC journals for
> > ideas without much success.
> >
> > I'd like to ask from you:
> >
> > 1. Recommendation for help (books, PICs, examples,etc.) on
> > writing training documents.

I have just moved to a new job and am trying out the MAIL, so things may get
confused. The book I have used most often for developing training is a book by
Clark, Ruth Colvin called :"Developing Technical Training". It has great
examples and is a very procedure oriented book that helps be very specific about
how to define what people should learn, etc. It is a very structured approach
with rules for developing tutorials, CBT's but also classroom training.

The STC journal for May also had an article (Second Quarter) call "Principles
and Heuristics for Designing Minimalist Instruction" by Hans van der Meij and
John M. Carroll.

I have used this book for a class I taught at the community college called Local
Area Network. It definitely improved my "lesson plans" even though I ran out of
time to fully implement complete lessons.

> > 2. Suggestions for innovative, successful formats.
> >
> > 3. Sympathy?
I would love your task.