Re: Certification

Subject: Re: Certification
From: "Scott, Vester" <vscott -at- RPSPO1 -dot- ATLANTAGA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 08:19:00 PDT

Josee-
I agree.
I respect people who take the necessary steps to be good at what they do.
I've taken a lot of flak for my comments, and some have been kind enough to
point out errors in my own posting, but there is also a lot of support.
Regards.
-Vester
----------
From: joseey
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Date: Wednesday, July 12, 1995 7:52PM

Hi Scott,

Following your comment, I think not all non-certified TW fit your
description.
I, for one, drifted from a help desk supervision position to my current
position as a technical writer. Before drifting though, I took a one year
intensive course in aeronautics TW. I had good business writing skills but I
lacked the skills on how to have the right structure, how to explain stuff
clearly and in a concise manner.

After the course, I got what we call an "Attestation", but that doesn't make
me a certified TW. Nonetheless, I think my employer as well as our clients
are more than satisfied with my work (yes, they do tell me).

You're right, bad TW or I should say people representing themselves as such
do embarrass the profession and the companies they work for. But I'm sure
they don't remain in the field too long... ;-)
\\|//
(o o)
Josee Sevigny Technical Writer
M3i Systems Inc., Longueuil, QC
e-m joseey -at- m3isystems -dot- qc -dot- ca
Tel (514) 928-4600
Fax (514) 328-8785