Using FM4 do to "Frame" online help for Windows

Subject: Using FM4 do to "Frame" online help for Windows
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 1995 08:30:01 LCL

Hello,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Patrick O'Connell an All am 13.07.95

PO> It was a VERY bad move for Frame Tech to do the FM4/Win online
PO> help using
PO> their technology rather than good ol' reliable WinHelp.

I can imagine, why Frame did that: Framemaker is a multi-platform tool.
Winhelp is Windows only.

But for any Windows user, a help engine besides Winhelp is next to
inacceptable: There is a Windows style guide and EVERY program is supposed to
support that "language" of the GUI.

But you should blame Microsoft at least for part of the problem: They did not
document the Winhelp format. So you MUST take the route through the Winhelp
compiler. That should not ease the conversion of any foreign hyptertext to
WInhelp.

On the other side: As long as everyone uses the Winhelp compiler, every
authoring tool must have at least one standardized interface.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander