Re: I want to be a tech writer

Subject: Re: I want to be a tech writer
From: David Demyan <concord -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 06:29:27 -0700

Bonni Graham wrote:

>Dave demyan makes a number of good points (although I don't think Gwen
>was being as negative as he paints her being and I CERTAINLY don't
>think she was being discouraging), but in the spirit of encouraging
>beginning tech writers, I feel I need to correct one of his
statements:

>><snip> We all know the
>>basics: Good BA/BS, data processing or other technical specialty,
>>MA in technical writing or composition, and forget the PhD for now.
> ^^

>These are not necessarily "the basics". A good BA/BS will help, but,
>depending on the comapny you want to work for, and the area of TW you
>want to go into, it doesn't necessarily need to be in a technical
>specialty.
(snip)

Bonnie is absolutely right. I misspoke here and, now that I have had
time to review my post, recognize that as a mistake. My own feeling
(being too old to have graduated from any Tech Writing MA myself) is in
complete accord with Bonni: there are many ways and many degrees useful
in getting into the technical writing profession.

Dave Demyan *** Mendem Concord, Inc.
(908) 753-8500 *** One Mountain Blvd.
concord -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com *** Warren, NJ 07059
FAX: (908) 754-8224