Re: Help on phraseology

Subject: Re: Help on phraseology
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 09:56:39 -0700

Sue Heim writes...
[snip some background]

> The Easy//Hand-Holding mode sort of walks the user through editing a
> journal format. For example, if a user makes a change in one field,
> then the program prompts if that change is to be applied to all other
> reference types or to specific reference types. Thus, the Easy mode
> sort of "holds the user's hand," "walks" the user through the steps;
> or "prompts" the user as appropriate.

> I really and truly do not like using "Hand-Holding" as an option in
> the dialog, but for the life of me can't think of anything better.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've always avoided "easy" or "simple" or any other "value
judgement" type words -- both in doc and in the interface
(if I have any say, that is) -- because if the user doesn't
find it easy, you've upped the intimidation factor a whole
lot! Besides, how's the user gonna type if you're holding
hands??? ;-)

Since you're working in Windows, can you call it "Wizard Mode"?
Or maybe "Prompt Mode" vs. "Quick Entry Mode"?

In any case, I agree that you need to find something better
than "Easy/Hand-Holding Mode".

-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com