Re: Help! Caught in the upgrade treadmill...

Subject: Re: Help! Caught in the upgrade treadmill...
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 08:15:00 -0600

So this suggests that I upgrade
continuously and gradually, spreading the cost over a longer time to
make it acceptable. Voila! Back on the upgrade treadmill.

Actually, it doesn't save money to stay current, but you have to plan ahead to
get the full cost-effectiveness. First, you can almost always save money by
skipping at least one revision in upgrades. The cost of going from 2.0 to 4.0 is
rarely as much as the cost of going from 2.0 to 3.0 and then from 3.0 to 4.0. In
addition, when you postpone upgrading until necessary, you pay for the upgrades
with cheaper dollars (the dollar is worth less next year than it is this year)
so you save money in that respect as well.

By putting aside a little at a time, you can be ready to make the larger jump
when necessary. And by forecasting when the expense will occur, a company is in
better position to control the expense.

Now, having said that, I must say I try harder to stay current at home than I do
at work. My system at work is for my employers' needs. My system at home is for
*my* needs. I can try out new OS features and new application versions at home,
and see if the benefits can transfer to work. And I can use skills which my job
rarely calls for, to keep them sharp (such as graphic design -- even
programming).

Does that mean my employer gets extra benefits from me without paying for them?
Yes. Am I worried about giving away freebies like that? No. It's a two-edged
sword for us both. My employer gets free advice and experience on new products,
and gets to save money by not upgrading (though occasionally I get some company
money to further the idea -- sort of "we'll pay for your home upgrade so you can
tell us if we need it here" -- let me emphasize occasionally; did I mention it
was only occasionally?) until it is a benefit to do so. But along the way, I
keep my skills current for the marketplace and am more employable by companies
other than the one which employs me now.

Both of us get something the other, under other circumstances, might not be
willing to give.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124