Re: Computer instruction in the present tense

Subject: Re: Computer instruction in the present tense
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 10:21:33 -0700

It's not the tense that's important to me, it's the implied conditional
in the "future tense." When I read that someone or something will,
would, could, should, I want to know when, underwhat conditions will
it, would you, could ....

These are what I call "Nixon paragraphs:" "I would hope that ..."
Makes me want to know when you will start to begin to commence to
perhaps think about possibly doing something.

jb
When you are writing computer instruction, do you write in the
present tense; for example:

When you press Restart, the system runs a self-test. If the
system fails self-test, the processor does not reboot the
operating system.

vs future tense:

When you press Restart, the system will run a self-test. If
the system fails self-test, the processor will not reboot
the operating system.

I have read that such instruction should be written in the
PRESENT tense. What do you out there in the trenches do, and
why?