Re: Spoofed address

Subject: Re: Spoofed address
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 13:04:00 -0600

>Join me by sending a similar letter to POSTMASTER -at- IN -dot- THE -dot- FORMER -dot- USSR -dot- UA

That particular address is completely bogus. There are other spoofed return
addreses for Olga running around as well. The poor folks over at BYU have shown
up as Olga's home site on several messages.

The gist of it is Olga's spammer is taking advantage of a weakness in some
systems on the net. (One person idenitified the weakness as an IBM one, but I'm
not sure it's limited to their boxes.) Apparently, some systems don't bother to
verify that the reported host name matches the sending IP address, or even care
if the reported host name actually exists. Therefore the spammer can send
whatever he likes through those particular systems.

There are many cancelbots roaming the systems looking for an Olga to squash, and
I'm told that Law Enforcement officials are also looking for the spammer.

Even so, I'd say Olga is something we'll just have to put with, and send all
Olgas to the trash unread.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124