Re: Colon, semicolon, comma, or period?

Subject: Re: Colon, semicolon, comma, or period?
From: Dan 'Fergus' Roberts <droberts -at- PANIX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 06:03:17 -0400

: A colon would signal that the following clause will emphasize or
: clarify the idea presented prior to the colon.

I disagree. A colon generally introduces a list enumerated in the sentence.
If I had my grammar books unpacked, I'd use correct terminology, ...but...
the 2nd 'product' phrase is a renaming or restatement of the 1st 'product'
phrase. Therefore, correct punctuation would indicate that the 2 phrases are
of equal weight.

The sentence in question has the same construction as:
This is Bill, my co-worker.
Since 'coworker' is a restatement and clarification of 'Bill, it needs to be
indicated as such. A comma, or dash for stronger emphasis, will do the
trick. Other marks will not.

--
-----
Dan 'Fergus' Roberts