Help:Windows Help

Subject: Help:Windows Help
From: "Kathryn E. Leventhal-Arnold" <kleve -at- HILCO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 08:44:07 CDT

Hello all,

Please help. Management has changed direction again.

I've been doing research for using a Web browser with html files to provide
online documentation per management request. Yesterday management changed
their collective mind. So, today I'm doing research on creating help
in the Windows environment (i.e., Windows Help files provided in the
standard Windows formats and standards).

I've been ignoring most mail on this subject because we've always
used the UNIX platforms for our products. Apparently our new products
will be delivered in Windows (95?) and NT as well as UNIX and we MAY
be phasing out UNIX, eventually. Currently I'm to concentrate on
providing online help for the PC (unless there's an easy way to provide
Windows help on UNIX which I doubt).

Our products are complex software for manufacturing.

It's been a long time since I've worked in a PC environment. And I've
only worked in Windows a very little bit. I'm currently working
in UNIX using FrameMaker for our manuals (we have no online doc. as yet.)
I will eventually be getting a Pentium PC running NT. Management wants
to go completely to Windows online help. [Please don't send mail
explaining why purely online help is a bad idea. I know. We're a long
way away from any final decisions anywhay.]

I assume I'll end up losing FrameMaker in favor of MS Word or something
else that ties directly to a Windows help creation package.

Please help. Any suggestions, products, resources for information
would be welcome. I also have access to the Web, so if you can point me
to URLs for more information or demo versions of products, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for your help. This list has provided me with useful
information in the past. It's good to know you're all out there.

--KEL-A

Kathryn E. Leventhal-Arnold
Documentation Manager Email: kleve -at- hilco -dot- com
Hilco Technologies, Inc. Phone: 314/298-9506 x253
3300 Rider Trail South, Suite 300 Fax: 314/298-1729
Earth City, MO 63045