Dangling...

Subject: Dangling...
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 23:32:55 -0700

>I had this phrase in my instructions

> "If you are using the (unit name) to send data over a LAN, . . . ,"

>and my editor took out "you are" to make "If using."

Your editor is setting you up for a dangling participle if the subject of
the next clause isn't doing the using.

OK: If using the framis, turn it on first.

NOT OK: If using the framis, the widget light turns amber.

There's really nothing wrong with leaving "you are" in. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro