good conversion filters?

Subject: good conversion filters?
From: Laurel <laurel -at- SODA -dot- CSUA -dot- BERKELEY -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 1995 12:48:59 -0700

One of the major problems I've encountered so far is the lack of good
conversion filters for word processors and page layouts applications. If
I'm required to revise a 500-page book in Winword, I'm inclined to either
(a) cultivate a drug habit or (b) try to convert the file to a more
workable (read: less buggy) platform like Frame for Mac.

The real problem is that decent conversion filters don't seem to exist.
Even NisusWriter--a word processor powerful enough to handle 500 pages at
a time--converts other types of files into gibberish. When there are
graphics and other non-text elements involved, the problem is compounded.
Does anyone know of some good conversion filters? Does anyone know of yet
another solution?