Re: Writers of user manuals: going the way of the dodo?

Subject: Re: Writers of user manuals: going the way of the dodo?
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 16:25:30 +0800

Ron Miller said:

> I keep thinking that the end of paper documentation as we know is near, but
> nonetheless I continue to get more and more of this type of work. As a
> freelancer, I must remain competitive and have moved into on-line help and
> dabbled with multimedia, as I really do believe these will be the next wave
> of documentation, but I think (to paraphrase Mark Twain) the rumors of paper
> documentation's death have been greatly exagerated.

I remember being told in 1981 that there was no point in me even finishing
my Business/Programming degree, because programmers in general, and COBOL
programmers in particular, would be obsolete within a couple of years
(there were two COBOL units in the course).

I coded mainly in COBOL for several years, then occasionally up to about
1991. The last time I looked up from my desk there seemed to be no
shortage of programming going on.

Ron, I don't think paper will die though I do expect it to fade away. But
we will fade first.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield (slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au) Voice: +61 9 328 8288
Functional Software Fax: +61 9 328 8616
PO Box 192
Leederville, Western Australia, 6903