Re: more power, more speed

Subject: Re: more power, more speed
From: "Hiatt, Michel" <MHIATT -dot- INT-MAIL -at- SMTP -dot- INTECOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 08:30:00 CDT

Chris Hester wrote:

>Our writing group has been told that if we want to be upgraded to the
>company's standard pc configuration (Pentium, 16Mb, 280+ Mb hard drive,
>15" monitor), we need to come up with a list of justifications. <snip>

>Begging can be so unattractive, but here goes. Please,
>please, please, brag to me about it if you have a "top of the line" pc,
>and also let me know what types and sizes of documents you develop with
>it. <snip>

We were working on 486 SX20s when we upgraded to Pentiums. We write our
documents in AMI PRO and many of our documents are filled with screen
captures, illustrations, drawings (in AMI PRO) and tables. The old
machines painted the screens very slowly at times. We cinched our
argument for faster machines by having the director of IS come down and
watch as a writer scrolled through a document that was particularly slow
because of the tables and graphics. Clinched the case almost
immediately.

We have found that screen redraws are faster and all other processes used
in working with a word processor are also faster.