Re: Hideous grammar

Subject: Re: Hideous grammar
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 08:16:55 MST

"Janet K. Christian" <janetc -at- AUSTIN -dot- APPLE -dot- COM> wrote-->
> I deleted your argument/example that technical writers should be paid the
> same as technical programmers. I happen to believe we *should* be paid the
> same. Not only do we have to understand the technical concepts, even read
> the programming languages, about which we write, we also have to be able to
> explain these same concepts in clear, concise, understandable language so
> that others can also understand. To me, that's makes us doubly-skilled.
> Ever read a programmer's attempt at technical writing?

======
I completely agree with the need for pay equality.
I strongly disagree with the statement "..., even read the
programming languages, .... To me, that's [sic] makes us
doubly-skilled."

Being able to read and understand code is *not* the same as
being able to *write* that code.

That's the same as saying that because your auto mechanic can read and
understand written text, then he or she is doubly-skilled (auto
mechanic and technical writer). Sorry, but that's wrong.

Maybe *you* are dual-skilled (you said that you were a
programmer), but that duality isn't because you know how to read
programming languages, that duality is because you used to *be*
a programmer.

Oh, and while I'm on this soapbox, the ability to write a simple
C program that prints "Hello World" on the screen ALSO does
*not* make one dual-skilled. That auto mechanic can probably
write a damn clear paragraph about pistons, but could he or she
expand that into an entire manual describing the internal
combustion engine?

=*= Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= Huachuca : That's pronounced "wah-CHEW-ka" =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=