Re: Hideous grammar

Subject: Re: Hideous grammar
From: "Janet K. Christian" <janetc -at- AUSTIN -dot- APPLE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 12:55:00 +0100

>"I originally wrote-->
>> I deleted your argument/example that technical writers should be paid the
>> same as technical programmers. I happen to believe we *should* be paid the
>> same. Not only do we have to understand the technical concepts, even read
>> the programming languages, about which we write, we also have to be able to
>> explain these same concepts in clear, concise, understandable language so
>> that others can also understand. To me, that's makes us doubly-skilled.
>> Ever read a programmer's attempt at technical writing?

>======
>I completely agree with the need for pay equality.
>I strongly disagree with the statement "..., even read the
>programming languages, .... To me, that's [sic] makes us
>doubly-skilled."

*Excuuuuse me* for making a typo. No need to get tacky with your [sic]. I
orignally meant to type, "To me, that's what makes us doubly-skilled..."

>Being able to read and understand code is *not* the same as
>being able to *write* that code.

>That's the same as saying that because your auto mechanic can read and
>understand written text, then he or she is doubly-skilled (auto
>mechanic and technical writer). Sorry, but that's wrong.

No. That's not the same. It would be the same thing if the auto mechanic
were able to write the maintenance manuals that other auto mechanics would
use.

>Maybe *you* are dual-skilled (you said that you were a
>programmer), but that duality isn't because you know how to read
>programming languages, that duality is because you used to *be*
>a programmer.

>Oh, and while I'm on this soapbox, the ability to write a simple
>C program that prints "Hello World" on the screen ALSO does
>*not* make one dual-skilled. That auto mechanic can probably
>write a damn clear paragraph about pistons, but could he or she
>expand that into an entire manual describing the internal
>combustion engine?

Very true. I switched from software development to software documentation
because I prefer writing, and I'm a good writer. I found programming to be
tedious and frustrating; I find writing exciting and challenging. And yes,
I wrote more than "Hello World" (another tacky inference IMHO).

At every software-based startup company for which I've worked, we didn't
even bother interviewing technical writers who did not have a programming
background. The writing was just too complex and low-level, and the source
material was too sparse. We frequently had no source material other than
the code listings and the notes we took when attending the engineering
meetings.

There are certainly markets for technical writers who have backgrounds
teaching English or degrees in journalism. They simply were not the places
I have worked.

Gee, I hope I didn't make any typos this time,

Janet