Re: The tools we use: more power, more speed

Subject: Re: The tools we use: more power, more speed
From: Stuart Reynolds <stuartr -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 10:07:30 -0800

-- [ From: Stuart Reynolds * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> For the newbies out there, I say, listen to the laments of your colleagues
> suffering with sub-standard equipment. When you interview for your next
job,
> ask specifically about the equipment you will be told to use.
On the other hand, they could get defensive, dependant on thier anal
rentivness. %-)

> I took my current job primarily because of the state-of-the-art tools we
have.
> As a matter of fact, my other computer is a Cray T3D... :-)
Ya, I got one 'O' them pupies in the spare bedroom. Say, does Windoze crash
on your too? :)

> If you want better tools, demonstrate to management how much it is costing
> *them* in their penny-wise-pound-foolish approach. Give them numbers and
give
> them options, e.g. lease what you need.
The best example of on-the-job-learning for the management, was the last
contract I had. I told 'em what they needed. Didn't listen. "what do you
know?" Well, when I lost a ten meg file due to a lock up whil the file was
open, they were pretty damn quick to not listen, but ASK what I needed. Got
the extra stuff within three hours.. :)

> Management has an infatuation with spreadsheets and the idea of improved
> profits.
Uh-huh.... Show them how it will increase profits, decrease expenditures in
the long run, increase productivity and therefore your cost-effectiveness,
also save them from a law suit down the road when with the current setup
leaves you in a straight jacket, babbling something about utopia... :)

Stui

> -Mike

> Michael Andrew Uhl Internet: uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov
> Lead Technical Writer Compuserve: 72624,2155
> SVC/NESC Phone: (919) 541-4283
> Martin Marietta Technical Services, Inc. ftp site: ftp.nesc.epa.gov
> Primary Support Contractor for the EPA
> Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
> Scientific Visualization Center (SVC),
> National Environmental Supercomputing Center (NESC)
> U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)

Goin' down in flames...
But the colours are neat!!
First Impression Graphics

Hard, Soft and GUI..