More power, more speed, future look

Subject: More power, more speed, future look
From: Richard Dimock <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 15:58:04 PDT

It would be interesting to look back on our "dream computer"
posts from the viewpoint of the year 2020.

What a difference 20 years can make!

The first CRAY-1 we shipped in 1976 had 8 MB of RAM and a
clock speed of 80 MHz. That was an $8 Million supercomputer.
Of course, we gave our customers real Freon cooling, not this
silly fan stuff.

Dick Dimock Artfully Senior Tech Writer holding the fort at

AT&T GIS in mystical, Arthurian

El-Segundo-by-the-Pacific AKA Lake Wobegon/West