Re: Does Frame Crash?

Subject: Re: Does Frame Crash?
From: Marcia Coulter <notjust -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 16:46:00 -0700

Emily Skarzenski <71220 -dot- 341 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM> wrote:

>Our biggest complaint right now is the Word crashes we experience
>daily. Moreover, even when Word isn't crashing, we find that it's hard
>to get work done between Word's "background" repagination (yeah,
>right) and autosaves (which are a pain, but which we don't want to
>turn off since it crashes so much).

Can't help you justify your conversion to Frame -- which I support, BTW
-- but maybe I can help alleviate some of your frustrations in the
meantime.

REDUCING CRASHES

First, check the FILE= statement in your CONFIG.SYS. Most people have
it set to about 50. Word crashes much less often if you have it set to
at least 150.

(I have to give the support folks at Blue Sky Software -- that's the
RoboHelp people -- credit for that suggestion. Mine is now set to 253
and it almost never crashes!)

It seems that Word opens and closes untold numbers of files as it
works. (How did you think you got that preview in the Find File dialog
box? <grin>) And then there's the applications you try to run at the
same time!

RE "BACKGROUND" PAGINATION

You probably already know this one, but just in case...You can turn off
the background pagination. Here's how:

1. On the Tools menu, select Options.

2. Click on the General tab.

3. Clear the checkbox in front of Background Repagination and click
OK.

Hope that helps.

Marcia Coulter
notjust -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com