French .NE. profanity

Subject: French .NE. profanity
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 11:20:49 IDT

It has just been pointed out to me that equating "French" and "profanity" is
insulting to those of French ancestry.

** Quelle betise. The word "French," used to mean "profanity," is
a jocular euphemism, not an aspersion. The whole point of the
expression is the humor of labelling profanity as something entirely
different.

||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
|| "Once in a while you will meet a kvetch... which means ||
|| means 'crank' in Latin" - Dayton Allen ||