End-user doc kits?

Subject: End-user doc kits?
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 10:13:01 LCL

Hello John,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von John Taylor an All am 27.07.95

JT> Scenario: Company X sells an application to developers who
JT> heavily customize it and
JT> then sell the customization to their own customers. Because of
JT> the extent of the
JT> customization, X's own end-user documentation for the
JT> application doesn't work very
JT> well for the customers of the customizer. So what X does is
JT> provide the
JT> developer/customizer with an end-user doc kit, containing
JT> materials/templates/instructions for producing end-user docs.

JT> Does this sort of thing ever happen? Anyone know of anything
JT> like this?

I know of a software system that is extremely flexible by design: SAP. I don't
know however, what they do to support the user documentation side
of the customisation. Perhaps the mailing-list keeper of HT-Link (a German
hypertext mailing list) might be able to help: hofmann -at- sap-ag -dot- de

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander