Re: Re. Getting new toys

Subject: Re: Re. Getting new toys
From: Jeffrey Pittman <Jpittman49 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 15:39:20 -0400

So you need a new computer, and you are not sure how to convince
management to purchase one? The answer is to get together with of a good
technical writer, hopefully yourself, and submit a formal proposal with a
complete cost/benefit analysis ( this includes a comparison of the time used
to prepare documents on the existing/wished-for systems). I did this when I
had to start writing interactive multimedia tutorials. It resulted not only
in my receiving my new workstation, but the proposal was then filed to be
used as the new standard whenever a computer upgrade was requested by other
departments. This has resulted in many delighted but puzzled expressions by
various secretaries who now have machines with full multimedia packs
installed ( most of these users did not even know that some computers have
microphones! ). : )
Good luck,
J.P.