Re: the googolplex

Subject: Re: the googolplex
From: Matt Ion <mion -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 21:24:30 PDT

On Fri, 4 Aug 1995 07:00:04 -0400 you wrote:

> Not to mention googolplex, which is just a *very* large, indefinite but
> not infinite, number

>But I thought that a goolplex consisted, definitely, of 1 followed
>by a googol of zeros.

The story I remember hearing about the origin of this phrase had the
mathematician who coined it, after pomdering potential terms for hours on end,
turned to his young grandson and asked what he should call the number one
followed by 100 zeros. The reply came back: "Googol". The rest is history.

Opinions expressed / ROCK-IT SCIENCE Mobile Audio and Security
do not necessarily /| ...the 1040 MIDI & Music BBS Technical Services
reflect those of any [ SOUNDMAN Internet mion -at- direct -dot- ca Fido 1:153/7106
marginally sane human \| WWW http://www.musicwest.com/1040bbs/
being anywhere. \ FAX: (604)253-8312 DATA: (604)732-4446