FWD: Re. Virtually terminal

Subject: FWD: Re. Virtually terminal
From: "Jim Reith <reith -at- process -dot- com>" <REITH -at- PROCESS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 10:42:00 -0400

> Dick Dimock, our artfully senior El Segundoite, di-mocks the
> suggestion that "VT100" means "virtual terminal 100". Yet I too have
> heard this suggestion, and given that IBM produced an operating system
> no less annoying than Windows (called, MVS, multiple virtual
> something), the concept of a 40-pound terminal that is virtual strikes
> me as reasonable. Any DEC-ites out there who can confirm this?

I've been working on DEC equipment since 1975 and can vouch for it meaning Video
Terminal. Remember, this is from back in the teletype/keypunch days when having
a 300 baud terminal was something GREAT. The VT family goes back even earlier to
include the VT52 and the VT06 (and a 3 I believe). The DECwriter line was the
paper versions of the same vintage and didn't include VT. These are the same
days when Cathode Ray Tube and Video Display Terminal come from.

Jim (husband of a subscriber)