Re: NOT certification, but screening

Subject: Re: NOT certification, but screening
From: doug montalbano <doug_montalbano -at- CC -dot- CHIRON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 14:11:32 PST

I get Techwr-L in digest form, so apologies to all
(1) if this has already been answered, and I missed it, and
(2) for forgetting the original poster's name.

This is in reply to the question about the existence of organizations
that screen or train writers and editors so that, in lieu of
certification, those writer or editor candidates may be pre-screened
(or even recommended) for job interviews.

I believe someone mentioned the Council of Biology Editors (CBE).
Here in the San Francisco area (hubristically dubbed 'THE Bay Area'),
there's, also a group that does just that. Editcetera offers writing
and editing workshops, but more than that, it is (to quote from its
brochure):
a nonprofit mutual benefit corporation designed to help
publishing professionals improve their skills and share
resources. Since 1971, we have referred qualified
freelancers to publishers, businesses, institutions, and
authors. For more information about our services, call
510/849-1110.

Their postal address is
editcetera
1845-A Berkeley Way
Berkeley, CA 94703

If you don't live in The Bay Area, look around for similar groups or
start your own.

doug_montalbano -at- cc -dot- chiron -dot- com speaking only for his own self