Rehabilitation of Old Documents

Subject: Rehabilitation of Old Documents
From: "James C. Swinburn" <102232 -dot- 2376 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 13:41:51 EDT

My company has a twenty year old hard copy bookshelf (26 large 3-ring binders -
around 26K pages; A-sized text, construction drawings, illustrations, what have
you) of design basis and criteria materials. It was never easy to navigate in.
We are considering scanning and running OCR on the text, indexing the lot,
creating a CD or other electronic/optical database version. We would like to
keep costs down but have a usable product. Any wisdom about how to procede would
be appreciated.

We would like to know how others have fared with products (such as Excalibur)
that are advertised as capable of running full text, Boolean searches on imaged
documents. Product recommendations, please.

The goal: to make the information in this monster accesible to engineers and
designers who are just starting out, and to help old timers find information
that they know is in there somewhere, but aren't sure just where.