Re. Finish that degree

Subject: Re. Finish that degree
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 08:38:30 LCL

"Hunter_W" (s/he of no signature line) wrote to ask whether it was
worthwhile completing an unfinished degree now that s/he had a good
job. The answer is an emphatic yes.

My own experience provides an example: I dropped out in mid-M.Sc.,
after completing my research, because a great job offer came along
that I would have had to pass up if I'd continued. If I'd continued, I
wouldn't be here talking to you now; I'd be driving a taxi in Toronto
with all the other biology grad. students in my class. I made the
decision for two other reasons: I learned that I wasn't really
interested in research, and becoming progressively more expert on
progressively fewer things, and after a careful analysis, I realized
that an M.Sc. wasn't going to get me anything that I couldn't already
get (witness the hot new job) without it. I'd also taken the degree to
learn certain skills I wasn't going to have a chance to learn anywhere
else, and I'm a firm believer that the journey is more exciting than
the destination. Stated otherwise, I took the degree to learn, not to
acquire more letters after my name.

However, in your case, the degree is directly job related. And in both
our cases, any time you submit a resume to apply for a job, the
interviewer will ask why you didn't (or couldn't) finish the degree.
I've always had a satisfactory explanation (see above), but I'm also
sure I've lost jobs because this left a lingering seed of doubt inthe
interviewer's mind about whether I really could finish a piece of
work. Having completed several large projects since that time, I
always have them in my portfolio to prove that I _can_ finish a job
that I start. But it's an ongoing annoyance having to explain why I
stopped.

Actually, my secret master's [sic] plan continues... after all my
running off at the mouth on this list, I fully expect to have an
honorary degree in techwhirling awarded to me by InterU any day now,
and this is far more prestigious than an ordinary U of T degree.
<grin> "The diploma is in the mail?"

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} <--- @ = thoughts in a whirl!
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.