Singular Pronouns

Subject: Singular Pronouns
From: "Cornelisen, Renee @ SLG" <RCORNEL -at- SLC -dot- UNISYSGSG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 09:11:00 MDT

Tech Writers:

Here is a suggestion to end personal pronoun gender bias in writing.

"Gender Option Pronouns"

s/he
hr/hm
hrs/hs

I have suggested this before and had people say, ya but how do you pronounce
that? So I will preface here with the idea, that they are not pronounced,
they are written and the reader makes the choice in hr/hs head as to how to
hear or say them. .

Sentences would look like this:

I will tell hr/hm to phone you when hr/hs flight arrives, s/he usually
arrives at 10 a.m.

S/He buys new clothes every summer.
That pen is hrs/hs.
Go give this to hr/hm.

3rd Person Singular as it is now:

Case:
Nominative: he-(masculine), she-(feminine), it-(neuter)
Possessive: his-(masculine), her or hers-(feminine), its-(neuter)
Objective: him-(masculine), her-(feminine), it-(neuter)

This idea
3rd Person Singular [Note: no change from traditional on (It)]
Case:
Nominative: s/he (reader's gender choice) of she or he
Possessive: hrs/hs (reader's gender choice) of her, hers or his
Objective: hr/hm (reader's gender choice) of her or him

As a writer and reader, I would prefer to add "gender option pronouns" to
the language than keep being faced with those long strange sentences that
result when the writer is forced to say things like:

Everyone will hand in his or her homework or he or she will fail the class.

Isn't this easier?
Everyone will hand in hr/hs homework or s/he will fail the class.

There may be better suggestions, but changing the way people speak, by
creating a new word for each case sounds unrealistic to me. And using the
plural for possessive and objective case (their, theirs, them) with a
singular pronoun will continue to offend the literate and still won't
resolve the nominative portion of the equation.

DISCLAIMER: Thoughts expressed here are my own.
Renee Cornelisen
rcornel @SLC.unisysGSG.com