Re: the pound sign

Subject: Re: the pound sign
From: James Perkins <perkins -at- BILBO -dot- NTC -dot- NOKIA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 14:50:42 +0300

On Wed, 9 Aug 1995, Leslie Gasser EXP 8/26/95 wrote:

> Could any of you tell me what the actual name of the
> pound sign (#) is? I thought it was octothorp (sp?),
> but I haven't been able to find it in the dictionary
> or in any of my reference books.

The sign you have typed there is not a pound sign. The pound sign looks
like a fancy handwritten capital "L", and is used as the symbol for British
currency, and Australian currency before 1966 (sorry it doesn't work
on my keyboard).

I know "#" as the "hash" sign.

James Perkins Phone: +358 0 5112 3648
Nokia Telecommunications Fax: +358 0 5112 3876
P.O. Box 33 Email: james -dot- perkins -at- ntc -dot- nokia -dot- com
02601 Espoo FINLAND Internal: Hiomo 5/4