Re: Are there any word/language guru's out there?

Subject: Re: Are there any word/language guru's out there?
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 09:01:01 MDT

Sue Jones asks:

>Has anyone got any idea for a phrase I could use instead of the word
>"lexicographical", in the context of a listing (i.e. "nodes/templates
>are listed in lexicographical order")?

In addition to being technical, it's also nonsensical. The term
"lexicographical" would refer to something relating to the compilation
of a dictionary rather than a specific order. I suspect what this person
means is "alphabetical" since words in a dictionary are listed in this manner.

...unless, of course, the contributor was referring to the Benevolent Order of
Lexicography (BOL). 8-\

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * LIBERTY, n. One of imagination's most
Micron Technology, Inc. * precious possessions.
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Ambrose Bierce