Take One:ScreenCam

Subject: Take One:ScreenCam
From: Scott Goodhue <goodhue -at- SMTPGATE -dot- DISCLOSURE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 16:27:10 EST

Hello folks,

I'm using Lotus ScreenCam 2.0 for Windows to make a demo of an
application. ScreenCam's a package that "turns your PC into a VCR
that records every click, scroll and action on your screen" (back of
box). It comes bundled with Lotus Office -- or goes for around $100
bucks a pop by itself. At first I was really wowed, recording mouse
movements and inserting captions to make instantaneous flicks. But
now that I have a demo ready to shoot with a story board script to
follow and captions loaded, I find myself flustered over trying to get
the mouse movements, captions sequence and option selections all in
sync from start to finish.

Seems as if ScreenCam's a "one take" recorder with no real editing
capabilities. If you don't get it down all at once, you have to start
again from the beginning and hope you orchestrate it well enough the
next time (or the next, and so on)...a lot of fretting to make
something strut if it involves more than just a few maneuvers.

I also have Macromedia's Director, a really powerful multimedia
package, but it requires a lot more money and time because you must do
screen-to-screen captures and simulate mouse movements. The advantage
is, however, that it's easy to fine-tune and edit every "cast member"
and frame with Director.

Question: Is there a splice feature in ScreenCam that I've somehow
overlooked or is there a package (or one being developed) that works
like ScreenCam but has at least some rudimentary editing capabilities?

Scott Goodhue/Disclosure, Inc. (not the movie, the company)
sgoodhue -at- disclosure -dot- com