50-ohm or 50 ohm--prof. style guides

Subject: 50-ohm or 50 ohm--prof. style guides
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 16:56:09 -0500

I side with your copyeditors who put the hypen in
50-[uom] resistors because 50-[uom] is used as an adjective
and the hyphen reduces ambiguity.

You can easily settle such arguments by

1. Finding out if the professional organization
that most of your engineers belong to has a style guide

2. Obtaining copies of the style guide

3. Follow the guide as your "first reference"

4. Distribute copies of it to the engineers

We use the _SPE Publications Style Guide_ by the Society of
Petroleum Engineers as our first reference. Since it is "their"
organization and not "ours," they resist arguing with us
on the items that it covers. It is a slim book, and it
certainly does not cover everything.

LaVonna
LaVonna F. Funkhouser Immediate Past President, OK Chapter
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com Program Manager, 1995 Region 5 Conf.
technical writer Society for Technical Communication
COREStaff Communication Svcs.

My opinions do not officially represent anyone other than me.