the pound sign NOT OUR FAULT!

Subject: the pound sign NOT OUR FAULT!
From: Richard Dimock <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 15:36:00 PDT

HUMPH! Blame it all on poor old AT&T, eh!

Well I hardly think a li'l old company like us would sway public
opinion by calling that thingie on the dial button a "POUND SIGN!"

I've got a good mind to ask my company (if I could find it) how `
they decided to call the octothorp a pound sign. I assume they must
have researched and surveyed diligently before naming it "POUND SIGN."

Humph. Can any of you people across the Atlantic tell me what AT&T
calls that symbol on the button? Do your message machines tell you
to "Dial your extension and then press OCTOTHORP?"

I think I will call the operator right now!

Dick Dimock Artfully Senior TW fumbling with AT&T phone in

AT&T Global Information Solutions overlooking the dam refinery at

El Segundo, CA Why the heck do we still call it "dialing" anyway?
"Dial your extension and press POUND". I wonder
what MCI and SPRINT say? Not that I would ever use
them myself!