Re: Generic "he" summary

Subject: Re: Generic "he" summary
From: "Matthew B. Hicks" <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 14:02:24 -0600

On Wed, 9 Aug 1995, Jean D. Ichbiah wrote:

> In article <199508090034 -dot- RAA28847 -at- infinity -dot- c2 -dot- org> Richard Mateosian
> <srm -at- c2 -dot- org> writes:

> >4. In some cases, generic "he" gives prose an immediacy that no readily
> > available reformulation can match
> >This is a subjective matter, but I don't really see a noticable difference
> >in immediacy among the following:

> >When a doctor hears his patient's pleas, what is he to do? Where will he
> >find the answer? In his training? In his faith in God? In his innermost
> >soul? When he faces the patient, he faces himself.

> >When doctors hear their patients' pleas, what are they to do? Where will
> >they find the answer? In their training? In their faith in God? In their
> >innermost soul? When they face the patient, they face themselves.

> Really? You do not see the difference? Literally, the second is collective
> and applies to several doctors receiving several pleas - not to one doctor
> receiving one plea.

That's a diffence, but not a difference in immediacy. And literally, the
first one refers to a *man* in a white coat, not to a physician of
indeterminate gender.

Matt Hicks, Tech. Writer, Unidata * I may not agree with what you
Boulder, CO, (303)497-8676, ******* say, but I'll defend to the
matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu ************* death my right to mock you.