Re: The myth of sexist language

Subject: Re: The myth of sexist language
From: Dan Martillotti <danm -at- DEV -dot- TIVOLI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 14:56:31 CDT

----- Begin Included Message -----
>Instead of writing "Each user can open his personal file by ..." I would
>probably write "A user's personal file can be opened by ..."

>Callie

So you will have to try harder to match the clarity of "Each user can open
his personal file by choosing the Open command of the File menu."

Jean Ichbiah

----- End Included Message -----

What is wrong with the direct approach?

"You can open your personal file by choosing the Open command from the File
menu."

By the way, Jean mentions that the passive approach may lead to "(people)
avoiding responsibility, letting the thing happen without ever knowing who
decided." From my personal observations, people already avoid resposibility.
Just look at our federal government. ;-)

Dan Martillotti ******************
* * *
Tivoli Systems * * * *
(512)502-4759 * * * ** **
danm -at- tivoli -dot- com * * * * * * *
* * * * *
Class of '90 *
***