Re. wild (space?) cards

Subject: Re. wild (space?) cards
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 12:58:34 LCL

I'd have to weigh in on the side of one word: "wild cards" always make
me wonder if there's a corresponding flock of "tame cards". Moreover,
as we've long since stopped talking about "snow people" (!), the
compound noun is alive and well. Besides, (rhetorical question
alert!), what do you do about the dreaded neologistic verb forms
"wildcarding" (wild-carding?) and "techwhirling" (tech-whirling?)
<grin> More seriously, this strikes me as an issue more of consistency
than of correctness. Two broadly accepted forms exist, and either
appears suitable.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.